Summer is right around the corner, and everyone is flocking to the gym to get their bodies ready for the beach. If you are looking for a great exercise that will be sure to shape your glutes, then the barbell glute bridge is the exercise for you!
Exercise: Barbell Glute Bridge
Where did we learn it from Strength Coach Bret Contreras is known as the glute guy
What does it do? : The most obvious answer here is that it works the gluteal muscles, but the glute bridge is also a great exercise for people who may have trouble extending through the hips with other exercises like deadlifts and squats.
Coaching tips :
- Drive through your heels to get your hips off the ground.
- Push the weight up into the air by using your glutes, not your low back or hamstrings. If you feel your lower back working, then you may need to lighten the load or try tightening up through your core.
Common Flaws :
- Arching through lower back
- Utilizing hamstrings instead of glutes
- Loading the bar too heavy without proper activation of glutes
Try these for sets of 15-20 to really get the glutes going and to create a little sweat.
Check out Carl crushing the glute bridge with 315 for 15 reps